Media or Message?
Translating Dickinson Digitally
To translate one of Dickinson's poems from strictly text to Text & Visual Other &/or Auditory other.
To experience the choices that come with taking a message into a different medium - to make real/present the choices that go into creating messages for different mediums.
A suggested approach:
- Read the poem
- note images Dickinson uses
- Determine essence of poem -
- what does Dickinson want her readers to understand from the reading?
- Determine what medium you're going to translate poem into.
- Plan your steps -
- 3 columns: poem | essence | corresponding image/sound/etc.
- 2 columns: poem | corresponding image/sound/etc.
- bubble map
- whatever your personal style happens to be - KEY IS TO PLAN
- Execute plan -
The Needed Skills
- Understanding of poetry
- specifically decoding of chosen Dickinson poem
- Understanding of new medium/s
Links for Digifying Dickinson
Bedroom 360 Exhibit - for seeing her context.
Timeline of ED's life - for quick zeitgeist
Dickinson's Lexicon - for definitions from her dictionary. With thanks to all who worked to make this possible!
Dickinson's Works - manuscript images
Example: A Narrow Fellow in the Grass